Robert J. Matlock
With a legal career that spans more than three decades, Robert J. Matlock practices exclusively in the area of family law. His expertise includes matters involving divorce, post-divorce modifications, child custody, child support, enforcement, marital property agreements and all other aspects of family law. He is also accomplished in the practice of collaborative law and divorce mediation.
Bob assists clients with sophisticated marital property matters, business valuation disputes, child custody and support issues, modification suits, divorce litigation, and all other areas of family law. He was among the first family law practitioners to broaden his practice to include divorce mediation. As a charter member of the first collaborative law practice group in Texas, Bob has again widened his areas of expertise to include collaborative law techniques.
Bob is well known as a lecturer and seminar speaker on subjects including collaborative law, marital property law, divorce and modification suits, mediation, arbitration, ethics and other family law-related topics.
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified, Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1979
- Certified Advanced Mediator, Association of Attorney Mediators
- Texas Bar
- Missouri Bar
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- Doctor of Jurisprudence – 1971
- Washington University
- B.S., Bachelor of Science – 1968
- Major: Business Administration
Honors and Awards
- “Texas Super Lawyer”, Family Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Collaborative Law 2004 thru 2019 (Thomson-Reuters publication)
- AV Peer Review Rated Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Associations and Memberships
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Collin County Bar Association
- Collin County Bench-Bar Foundation
- American Bar Association
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists
- The Collaborative Alliance, Charter member
- Texas Collaborative Law Council, Charter member
- Association of Attorney Mediators
- Texas Association of Mediators
- Ministry of Conflict Transformation, Episcopal Diocese of Dallas
- Association of Conflict Resolution
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- Association of Family & Conciliatory Courts
Past Employment Positions
- Woods, May & Matlock, P.C.
- Robert J. Matlock, P.C.
- Koons, Rasor & Fuller
- Bruner & Matlock
- Law Offices of Lawrence R. Maxwell, Jr.
Pro Bono Activities
- Community Garden Kitchen
- The 3 Day, 60 Mile Walk for Breast Cancer
- Habitat For Humanity, Dallas & Collin County
- McKinney Chamber of Commerce
- Heritage Guild of Collin County
- St. Peter’s Episcopal Church
- Leukemia Society of America